And you guys thought I forgot about this project! Oh no. I just been busy with school that I had to put the project on the back burner. However, I did buy the rocket turret from ThinkGeek.com. Here’s what I found from my dissection from this rocket turret.
Underneath the rocket turret was a couple of rubber stickers, which actually hid the screws for the base. After unscrewing the base, I found the main controller for the turret. I could not tell what was the microcontroller that was used, because I spent most of my time learning which wire controls the three motors inside the turret.
After I unscrewed the bottom of the base, I proceeded to the top of the base. It seems like the rocket turret is able to move 0 degrees to 180 degrees due to the mechanical system shown above. The top base can also tell whether or not it will not exceed 0 or 180 degrees due to the switches inside the top of the base.
So I proceeded to tear apart the bottom base some more. Inside the base contains two motors. These motors are responsible for rotating the head of the turret as well as moving the head 0 to 180 degrees.
The final part I looked at was the main turret head. This was the part I ran into. The problem I was having was figuring out how the firing mechanism work. The firing mechanism uses a small dc motor, but there seems to be a certain sequence that must be achieved before the missile can be launched. Because of this, I’m changing the face tracker to use a small water pump I found on Nerdkits.com.
Well, that’s all I have for you guys today. I’ll let you know any new developments I have for the project.